Monday, January 2, 2012

An orange cat

14x11 acrylic on stretched canvas (click to enlarge)

Here is painting number one... an orange kitty. 

WHAT?... An orange cat? Yep, you probably won't be finding any landscapes here. Or bowls of pears. Or barns. Those subjects just don't interest me. What does interest me are fun images with a bit of whimsy and color. 

I did lots of painting on this trying to achieve a texture I liked on the background. I like acrylics because they dry fast so I can go back over them immediately and add another layer of paint. I am trying for a balance between control and a loose painting quality that I like. 

This started out as a quick doodle on a piece of scratch paper. I liked it so I did a second sketch. It was so loose and fun looking that I wanted to see what it would look like as a painting. 

No comments:

Post a Comment